Monday, March 12, 2012

Day 8 Beef and Hominy Stew

Today is the first day of week two and also the first day of my probiotic and fat burner capsules. One probiotic with a tall glass of water once a day, and two fat burners in the morning with food and at night with food.  Seven days of that and interested in the results (and side effects.......)

I have officially mastered the green smoothie.  Ready for this:
Place 1 orange and two bananas in a blender.  Place two handfuls of spinach in.  Place two scoops of Chobani  vanilla yogurt in the blender.  Blend blend bend.  While blending add a half bottle of water. Blend a bit longer and viola!  It is the perfect consistency and it is pretty DAMN tasty.  For anyone who has issues getting kids to eat veggies and fruits,  make this smoothie and call it the Shrek Smoothie!

I'm excited for dinner tonight.  I found a magazine that has healthy slow cooker meals.  I chose to make Beef and Hominy Stew.  I got all my ingredients last night and threw them all in the slow cooker overnight.  Now I can take it to work with me tonight. (Yes, I'm working another late night). AND I have dinner ready for the man.

Ready for the recipe.......

1 lg onion, chopped
1 3/4 lbs beef chuck, or stew meat
1 green pepper, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and cut
3 celery, cut
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 14.5 ounce can petite diced tomatoes with chiles
1 cup reduced sodium beef broth
2 tbsp corn starch
1 15 ounce can of hominy.......  Click here to learn about hominy!

Coat slow cooker with spray oil, place onions on bottom then add beef; season with salt (I used adobe seasoning).  Add green pepper, carrots, celery, and garlic.  Pour tomatoes and 3/4  cup broth over the top.
Cover and cook on HIGH for 6 hours or LOW for 8 hours
Mix cornstarch with remaining 1/4 cup beef broth and add the for the last 15 minutes of cooking; add hominy.
I added hot sauce to spice it up.


Doesn't that just look like a nice hearty beef stew!  It's delicious as well and one serving only has 274 calories; 8g fat (2g sat); 28g protein; 24g carbs; 5g fiber; 799mg sodium; 75mg chol.

Here's my gym schedule this week: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. I hate going to the gym before I have to work so Monday and Saturday will be my dog walking days. Plus it's 60 degrees outside and I'd much rather be feeling the sun on my face!


Let's go Toby and Piggy, time for a walk!

Onward and upward!
LB



No comments:

Post a Comment