Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Day 16... South Pacific Shrimp

Another beautiful day today!  This weather just creates ambition.  I just want to be outside doing things! And so I did.  After my morning tea and green smoothie Chris and I took the pups for a walk.  After we got back from that I went out back and played with the dogs.
A lab and water... he doesn't need anything more!  All I had to do was turn on the hose and you would think I just broke out the BEST toy in the whole wide world!!!  Toby chasing the water and Piggy running from the water.  It's great.
For lunch I sautéed spinach and garlic and cooked two eggs over easy... I love spinach! I'm going to be strong like pop eye! No wonder he loved Olive Oil!  Spinach and olive oil, best combo ever.  Top it with fat free mozzarella and viola!



Dinner I decided to experiment.  I found this recipe for South Pacific Shrimp.  Lemmie tell ya, you need to cook this!  It was phenomenal.  I almost went in for seconds but I promised my love I would save him some......  I found this new website eatingwell.com and I will always turn to that place first when looking for a new recipe!  I'm always up for a challenge, here's what this challenge turned out:

LOOK AT THAT!!!!! SO GOOD! And it's pretty! Here's what you need:

MARINADE & SHRIMP

  • 1/3 cup “lite” coconut milk, (see Tips)
  • 2 serrano chiles, or jalapeno peppers, preferably red, seeded and minced
  • 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 pound medium shrimp, (30-40 per pound), peeled and deveined (see Tips)

SAUCE

  • 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 cup diced seeded tomato
  • 4 cups baby spinach

And here's what you do:


  1. Combine coconut milk, chiles, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, lime juice and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Add shrimp and toss to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 10 to 15 minutes, tossing occasionally. Drain well, reserving marinade.
  2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and cook, turning once, until barely pink, about 30 seconds per side; transfer to a plate. Add tomato and spinach to the pan; cook, stirring, until the spinach starts to wilt, about 30 seconds. Add the reserved marinade; simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, about 2 minutes. Return the shrimp and any accumulated juices to the pan; heat through. Serve immediately.





I left the legs and shell on my shrimp when I cooked them.  The shell holds the marinade and helps infuse the shrimp with the flavor.  Make sure you use raw shrimp, and the bigger the better!!  Keep in mind, when you cook with shrimp, the shrimp always shrinks... A lot.  So the size you start with is not the size you end with.


Here's the BEST part about this dish: Dish makes 4 servings and each serving is 176 calories; 5 g fat ( 2 g sat , 1 g mono ); 172 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 1 g fiber; 282 mg sodium; 300 mg potassium.

Yum yum yum!  Perfect meal for fish Friday!

Catch ya later!
LB







No comments:

Post a Comment